The New York State Education Department has established a network of ten
Regional School Support Centers (RSSC) throughout the State. These Centers
are designed to assist schools and school districts in their efforts to
improve student achievement and decrease the gaps that exist between current
performance and the State standard. The Long Island Regional School Support
Center (LIRSSC) has been established to serve the school districts of
Eastern Suffolk BOCES, Western Suffolk BOCES and Nassau BOCES identified
as needing improvement under the State's school accountability system
(SASS). The LIRSSC will provide technical assistance to support reform
efforts in Long Island's highest needs schools. Implementation of the
LIRSSC services will be driven by an ongoing analysis of student achievement
The LIRSSC primary objectives include:
The LIRSSC is governed by an Executive Committee which includes the three
local BOCES District Superintendents, a State Education Department liaison,
a Higher Education representative, regional school superintendents, and
teacher practitioners. The Executive Committee identifies and prioritizes
the schools and school districts to be served by the LIRSSC in accordance
with criteria established by the State Education Department.
- Providing technical assistance to enable identified low-performing
districts and schools to decrease the gap in student performance and
support their efforts to make "adequate yearly progress" as determined
by New York State's "System for Accountability for Student Success"
- Improving the performance of identified school districts as measured
by VESID's Key Performance Indicators (KPI).
- Raising the achievement of all students in identified school districts
by making appropriate program choices and selection of interventions.
- Improving the coordination of services between general and special
- Coordinating the service of networks in the region.
- Developing and implementing Comprehensive District Education Planning
(CDEP), Title I Schoolwide Programs, Comprehensive System of Personnel
Development (CSPD) plans, etc.
- Establishing school-based or school-linked services with regional
networks and institutions of high education (IHE).
The LIRSSC is currently co-sponsored the following events
Directions to events